February 16, 2014

Art Shanty Project


There is an art festival of sorts (I cannot think of what else to call it) called the Art Shanty Projects going on this month in White Bear. It is actually held on White Bear Lake. Various warming houses have been converted into artistic displays that are open on the weekends. It has been dubbed "The Burning Man of the Midwest" ... Although I think that is a bit of a misrepresentation. There seemed to be fewer costumes, fewer dreadlocks, and much more clothing than in pictures I've seen of Burning Man. 

Anyway, we decided to go check out the Art Shanty Projects today. It was a balmy 20 degrees with a nice 10 mph breeze. At least the sun was shining. And because this weather is an improvement, there were SO many people on the lake today. There's only so many people you can fit into a warming house... and with lines waiting outside of pretty much every one of them, only one tiny door to get in and out, and an energy-filled 4-year-old in tow... we ended up only checking out a few of the art projects. Still, it was fun, and I would definitely return another year. 

Evie liked finding the spots on the lake where the snow was completely worn away, revealing the ice, so she could go "skating" (slipping) across the ice. But I think the best part was when we found the Dance Shanty. Evie walked right in, made her way into the center of the room, and became the center of attention, showing off her dance skills and not even considering that everyone else around her was 2 - 3 feet taller than she is. It was crowded enough in the Dance Shanty that I didn't think I could get a picture... Still, I wish I had have tried anyway.

No comments: