June 7, 2014

Budding Gardener

It has finally been warm enough to feel like summer.


Well, over the past week it has been warm. Today, I'm sitting here freezing as I type because it's something like 55 degrees outside at 2:30 in the afternoon.


That is nearly 30 degrees colder than it was yesterday at this time.

Not only have we been enjoying some of the nice weather at the pool, but we've been taking advantage of doing a little garden work, including planting some new things.

I picked up a hummingbird mint (agastache) plant at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory gift shop a little over a week ago for only a couple of dollars. When plants are grown for the gardens in the conservatory, more are grown than are going to be needed, so the best-looking ones can be picked to be put on display. The left-overs are then usually sold at a really cheap price.

The hummingbird mint needed to be planted in a pot so I can bring it inside when it gets cold, and after getting it home, I decided to let Evie plant the plant for me. So, we got out her tools, I gave her some direction, then backed off and let her do her thing.











Meanwhile, in the rest of the garden we have...

Columbine

Prairie smoke

And occasionally some water drops left by rain, or maybe it was the garden hose

No comments: