July 14, 2013

GLBT Pride Parade

The Twin Cities Gay Pride Festival was held at the end of June, just days after the Supreme Court struck down DOMA.


We didn't attend last year's festival or parade, but we heard that the atmosphere was one of rallying against a proposed amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman.


The amendment failed, and not only is marriage not defined, but a new law was passed allowing same-sex couples to get married in Minnesota.


And now same-sex couples who do get married are given the same federal protections and rights as all other married couples.


All of this I completely understand.


What I actually do get is that this year's Pride Festival was one of celebration, and I had fun.


The weather was nearly perfect, being warm but not too hot.


I collected as much schwag as I could get my little hands on, including a bazillion wings from Delta Airlines.


My favorite parade passers-by were the ones playing loud music I could dance to.


Colorful performers were pretty interesting, too.


The parade was pretty long, and I eventually got really tired.


I was glad to have Mom and Dad bring along the stroller so I could have a place to rest and have extra shade.


Eventually, I fell asleep.


Mom and Dad stuck around for the end of the parade while I napped.


They didn't realize just how long the parade was going to be.


Towards the end, the items being thrown into the crowd became a little more adult-oriented, so I didn't miss too much.


By the time the parade ended, I was awake again.


After the parade, I tried to walk through the park where the festival was held.


It was nearly impossible to get around because there were SO MANY people, and the pathway was too skinny for all the people going by.


I walked the perimeter of the park, then it was time to go home.


It was a good day.

No comments: