May 6, 2011

Take a Walk on the Wild Side

Mom took me out this morning in search of birds. She was able to strap me into my stroller at the house and walk to a small lake a little less than a mile away.


A paved pathway circles much of the lake, with a boardwalk connecting one section. The boardwalk provides a great view of geese, ducks, turtles, and small birds feeding off insects, like Barn Swallows and Yellow-rumped Warblers.






Along one section of the lake sits a small inlet of water. Water drains from this inlet into a marshy area. Mom spotted a Spotted Sandpiper there today.


Since it was such a nice day, Mom let me get out to stretch my legs at the playground by the lake. 









Mom thinks I'm growing up too fast. She says I look more and more like a kid each day, and less like a toddler. I act more like a kid, too.

As we left the park Mom noticed a Black-capped Chickadee sitting on a tree branch nearby. He didn't move as we passed. It was the same area Mom had encountered another chickadee close up, and she wondered what was there to keep the bird from flying away. Then she noticed a hole in the trunk of a tree next to the one the chickadee was sitting in. Sure enough, after a couple minutes, the chickadee flew to the hole and disappeared inside. 





On our way home I fell asleep. It made going down for my afternoon a little more difficult than usual, but overall it's been a good day.

P.S. When I hear certain birds now (like ducks, geese, or Red-winged Blackbirds), I like to point out there are birdies nearby. Same with dogs. And Mom thinks my first sentence is "There's a birdie" because I was saying something that sounded a lot like that over and over again this morning.

No comments: